ZOA, as an international NGO, supports people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies and remain faithful to communities as they recover – providing new opportunities for them to help themselves again.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Duration position: 1 year
Working hours: 40 hours
We are here for people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster.
ZOA, as an international NGO, supports people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies and remain faithful to communities as they recover – providing new opportunities for them to help themselves again. The work of ZOA is coordinated from the Netherlands. We are active in multiple countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East Region, and Asia. We work with approximately 900 employees worldwide and with (local) partners. We invite you to join our team of committed colleagues.
ZOA is looking for a
Disaster Response Officer (1 ft)
As a member of the Disaster Response Team, the Disaster Response Officer supports field operations that are initiated after a disaster occurs. These operations can be in- and outside ZOA countries. The Disaster Response Officer contributes to the extra organizational capacity that is required to respond to a sudden-onset crisis.
Your main tasks and responsibilities
In a ZOA country
- support the Country Director in exploring the possibilities for ZOA to become involved in disaster response operations;
- monitoring slow-onset crisis and implementation/follow up on strategic and cross cutting themes;
- at the request of the Country Director, design and roll out disaster response programs under supervision of the Director Disaster Response at ZOA NL;
- if based in the country that has experienced the crisis, support the Country Director to establish and maintain contacts with representatives of the local government, relevant embassies, institutional donors, INGOs and Local NGOs etc.;
- as directed by the Country Director, support and strengthen the capacity of local organizations to respond;
- as directed by the Country Director, develop proposals that respond to the crisis, manage projects, write reports.
Outside a ZOA country
- research the possibilities for ZOA to respond to a crisis or disaster which may be sudden on-set, slow on-set, natural disaster or man-made crisis;
- write Disaster Response Operations Plan (DROP);
- for sudden on-set emergency, conduct needs assessment and quick impact projects within one week of the crisis;
- recruit local staff teams;
- set up ZOA country projects for direct implementation or partner implementation;
- develop strategy for 2nd phase response depending on the needs assessment;
- support institutional donor acquisition.
- being a Christian adhering to the Christian identity of ZOA;
- the candidate is expected to fully support the vision, mission and Christian values of ZOA.
Knowledge and experience
- fluency in English, proficiency in French would be an asset;
- relevant educational background;
- a minimum of five years relevant work experience in emergency projects;
- knowledge of emergency donor requirements;
- knowledge of one or more of the following sectors:
- cash and voucher assistance
- emergency shelter
- emergency WASH
- good verbal and written communication skills;
- good networking skills;
- good proposal writing and reporting skills;
- taking initiative;
- experienced (people) manager.
- the candidate is expected to fully support the vision and mission of ZOA;
- flexible attitude, yet result oriented;
- ability to cope with stress.
- based at the ZOA office in the Netherlands;
- being able to move quickly between different countries dependent on the occurrence of disasters worldwide and ZOA’s involvement in these;
- available to work up to 50% of the time abroad, preferably in assignments of at least 6 weeks;
- duration of the position: 1 year;
- an EU work permit is required for those applying outside of the EU.
ZOA offers you a challenging job, an inspiring and motivated team and good benefits and remuneration that suits the charities sector.
Interested and you want to apply?
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via the application form on our website www.zoa.nl at the latest on 14th August, 2022; there you can also upload your CV and motivation letter.
CV’s of no more than 5 pages in length are appreciated.
ZOA operates with an equal opportunities policy and is committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified women and men, people of all nationalities, and cultural backgrounds, and candidates with disabilities are welcome to apply.
Do you need more information?
For more information about ZOA, please visit at our website www.zoa.nl or www.zoa-international.com. If you have questions about this vacancy, you can contact Mrs. Elly van den Nieuwendijk, via ZOA’s general telephone number 055 366 3339 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
During the procedure you can be asked to provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application. References of previous positions held should not be older than five years.
Please note that, as a part of recruitment process, ZOA carries out background and reference checks (including COTER) for all candidates. As ZOA participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, all reference checks include a written questionnaire: the “Statement of Conduct”, which will be sent to past employers regarding Misconduct (such as sexual exploitation, abuse or harassment).
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment. It is our aim to inform all other candidates of their status in the recruitment process within 4 weeks after the vacancy has closed. An assessment may be part of the recruitment procedure. Documents that do not match the profile above will not be considered. Internal candidates will have priority, in case of similar results.